September 13, 2008

Rice Wade


Rice wade / rice pooris is in my to-do list for a long time. Somehow I was skeptical about the outcome. All I knew was pooris out of wheat flour and maida. And I have not heard of this before. Nevertheless, I was tempted to try it, when I saw the recipe in Sanjeev Kapoor's Dal-Roti book.

I was not disappointed with the end result. Only thing unlike regular pooris, this cannot be rolled with a rolling pin , but each one had to patted with the fingers.

Here is the recipe


Rice flour - 2 cups

fennel seeds (saunf) - 2 tblspn

fenugreek seeds(methi) - 1 tblspn

salt to taste
water - 1 1/2 cups

Oil for deep frying


Boil 1 and half cups of water with fennel and methi seeds for about five minutes. This is to extract their flavor.Strain and reheat the water. Stir in the salt and rice flour to water. Stir continuously till it comes together and the mixture leaves the sides of the pan. Transfer the dough to a bowl. If you want you can add some grated onion to the dough at this stage. I did not add. Grease you palm with oil and pinch off a lemon sized dough. Pat it to the shape of a poori , using your fingers. Heat oil in a kadai and deep fry till it is golden and cooked. Drain on absorbent paper and serve hot.


It did not puff much for me. May be on next attempt ,I will improve. It is the first time I am tasting this. I liked it with the subtle flavor of saunf and methi. Its indeed a good alternative to our regular pooris. I served with simple moong dal tempered with the usual mustard, green chilly, grated ginger. Since I had prepared on an no-onion day, there is no onion in the side too.


Rice Wade goes to Think Spice Think Fenugreek event, guest hosted by Kittie

And also to Herb Mania - Fenugreek hosted at Redchillies


On a different note:

Have a look at the pookalam done by my parents at my sister's home in Gurgaon.


27 comments:

  1. Nice rice pooris,it is my favourite.HAPPY ONAM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pooris arent puffy,still it looks good,and the pokkollam is great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had these before, but the rice and fennel seed combination sounds just delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting pooris... happy onam

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely pookalam, Jaya. The puris sound good too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. never heard of rice pooris! looks so delicious and easy too. Thanks for the recipe Jaya! And a great rangoli art by your parents. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. very interetsing..pooris with rice flour and other spices..bookmarking it!!
    pookolam is superb..hope you had a lovely onam sadya!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pooris look gr8 and pokkollam looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is indeed different.Will try it soon.And Pookolam looks very beautiful.Belated Onam wishes too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pookolam looks extremely pretty! When I saw the title in reader I thought these must be madhur vadai, but these turned out different! Like you I too haven't heard of this! You too seem to have many cook books:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. pookalam looks awesome.. ur rice wade too..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jaya, the pookalam at ur sis is so beautifully put up, the colors just right-creates n illusionary figure if one keeps looking at it!
    Rice wade is very new dish! Looks good...it needs to puff more?? But these look too good! Tks for sharing-the technique of preparation is also unique!

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi jayashree rice wade looks crispy and tasty,onam pokkollam looks great

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice pooris. Have eaten something similar while at coorg. but the kodagus make this out of a particular type of rice.

    this is my first visit here :-) and i like what i see.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Rice puris are new to me too...pookolam looks amazing

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wake looking so gud...and the Pokolam is wonderful...Happy Belated Onam to you

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for submitting to Think Spice!

    These look great - I think fennel and methi go beautifully together :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely recipe that is! Never would ahve thought of rice flour puris. The pookalam looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. that looks lovely.. we make something similar in karnataka, we call it ubbo rotti .. we dont fry it .. we roast it like chapatis

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very interesting..the fennel will add a nice touch....the poo kolam looks beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  21. both the pooris and pookalam look beautiful Jayashree!

    Cheers,
    Siri

    ReplyDelete
  22. lovly rice poories...pookalam is too gud

    ReplyDelete
  23. onam wishes to u too jaya (bit belated:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. These look yummy!! I tagged you @ http://annarasaessenceoffood.blogspot.com/

    Apu:)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you all for your lovely comments on the pookalam. I have passed the same to my parents. They were indeed very happy to hear that.

    mrs.kannan, Only towards then end, it started puffing up. May be its my inexperience. Hope to improve on next try.

    vaishali, hima, uma,sowmya even it was new to me too. Just give a try once, you will like it.

    Harini, till I read the recipe in the book, i never knew of such pooris. not many of those books. No way near ur number.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Purnima, thanks for the detailed comment on the pookalam. Yeah the pooris should have puffed up. Only towards the end, it started puffing but not to my expectations.

    dershana, welcome to my blog. Thanks for dropping by and leave ur comments here. Hope to see you around often.

    VP, have u posted the recipe for ubbo roti. Shall check ur blog. Not fried version is always better.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your interest on my blog.Appreciate your feedback. Leave your suggestions/comments which will help me improve my blog.