July 10, 2010

Peanut Podi & Pics of painting on pot by my niece

I love podis a lot. Growing up, podi meant kalathupodi, since it was the only one made at home. Later, staying in  a hostel for my graduation,  in Andhra Pradesh, I was introduced to variety of  podis by my roommates. Every year, Varalakshmi pooja was observed in our hostel. The pooja was set in our dining hall. So the food was served on the corridor outside and we were expected to eat on the verandha of the ground floor. Food was never allowed to be taken to the room unless someone falls sick and that too with the permission slip along with it. During this pooja, we somehow manage to take dinner to our room and enjoy eating with our room mates. In  our hostel, we were 8 in each room and seniors & juniors are mixed up. During those dinner sessions, one of us will mix rice with podi and ghee in a plate. It will be made into balls and passed to the rest of the roommates. I can go on and on about my hostel life. I surely miss those hostel days. 

Now coming to the recipe, I have written down this recipe from a Tamil Magazine.  Its very easy tasty and features in my kitchen very often.




Ingredients

  • Roasted groundnut - 2 cups
  • Chutney dal/Porikadala/Pottukadalai - 1 cup
  • White sesame seeds - 1/2 cup
  • Hing - a small piece
  • Khus Khus/Poppy seeds - 1 tblspn
  • Red chilli - 8-10 nos (Adjust according to your taste)
  • Salt
  • Oil  - a teaspoon

 

 
Method
 
  1.  Dry roast sesame seeds and khus khus separately till they crackle.
  2. Heat a teaspoon of oil. Drop the hing piece. Remove it when it is roasted.
  3. Roast chilly in in the same oil.
  4. Powder the ingredients when its cool. Mix with hot rice and a dollop of ghee. I usually eat with sesame oil (Nallenai)



Here is the picture of a pot painted by my 16 year old neice, Soumya. She has not taken any formal training on this. I had posted some bookmarks done by her. She was overwhelmed reading the comments received for that. During my last trip there, I clicked few pictures of her paintings.





16 comments:

  1. Delicious peanut podi, i love to have this podi with hot rice topped with ghee, makes me hungry..

    Wow wat a beautiful paintings, looks awesome..

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pots ar elooking so beautiful. When i was home we also never had podis, it is only after my sis getting married we had often as BIL like to have them a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pots look lovely. I have never tasted peanut podi. I too love to eat my podis with nallennai.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey dear,
    The podi looks fabulous. I have some nearing expiry date peanuts that I brought from India. I would like to make this and store in the fridge.
    About the Tapioca, its only found in specialty aisles of the supermarket..so heading over there tomm.Will let you know how it turned out during the week.
    Your niece is very artistic!Look at the embellished vase. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. peanut podi looks so good and handy..nice pot paintings..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice paintings. Pots are looking too good. pass on my comments to Soumya.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Podi and painting, both are lovely...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey...Great paintings :)
    If she is trying to make it commercial anytime, surely booking the first buyer slot !!

    As always..another nostalgic recipe from u :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey...Great paintings :)
    If she is trying to make it commercial anytime, surely booking the first buyer slot !!

    As always..another nostalgic recipe from u :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi j,

    i have never heard of peanut podi...I have a pound of peanut and i thot ill make peanut butter but this podi sounds way too yummy to miss....love the paintings in the vase...is it S`s brother`s daughter???
    Shobha

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmmmm.. i tried this sometime back..tastes the best with dosa :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds simple yet nice,and a lovely hand work by ur niece! Congrats to her!
    Love the new look of your blog,neat and good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was a yummy podi recipe... Looks so good. YUM!....

    That pot is looking gorgeous....

    ReplyDelete
  14. love peanut podi and love your new layout!! :) looks beautiful dear, and your niece is so talented it must have taken quite a difficult time to paint them so beautifully, you did a good job posting them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Peanut podi sounds new to me.. surely will try..
    And the paintings on the pots looks awesome.. She seems to be a professional.. Pass on my wishes to Soumya!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your interest on my blog.Appreciate your feedback. Leave your suggestions/comments which will help me improve my blog.