December 29, 2008

Sprouted Kollu (Horsegram) Pongal


After a break, I am back again to blogging. After the vacation, I had planned some posts but both office and home took away all the time and naturally blogging took a back seat.

I regularly sprout moong,horse gram and wheat. Mostly it is steamed and used in salads and stir fries like cabbage/carrot. Occasionally moong sprouts are used in gravies for rotis/rice. I was thinking of using moong sprouts for preparing pongal in place of moong dal. When I planned pongal, I had only horse gram sprouts. Decided to go ahead with my plan of making pongal with the available sprouts. Actually, I was very skeptical of how it will taste and that too I was preparing it for breakfast. If it doesn't turn out well, I won't have time to prepare anything else since my husband leaves at 7:00 in the morning.

But When I opened the pressure cooker, I was completely swept over by the aroma of horse gram and rice combined with hing and turmeric. And with seasoning added to it, it was a winner.

sprouted horse gram (kollu/muthira) - 1/3 cup
raw rice - 2/3 cup
turmeric - a big pinch
hing powder - few shakes
water - 3 cups

Seasoning
Ghee - 3 tblspn
crushed pepper - 1/2 tblspn
jeera/cumin - 1 tspn
small wedge of ginger finely chopped and lightly crushed.
salt
curry leaves

Pressure cook horse gram,rice,hing powder and turmeric in 3 cups of water. Horse gram will not cook mushy. It gives a nice crunch to the pongal. Mash the cooked mixture.

Heat a kadai. Add 3 tablespoons of ghee. Add rest of the seasoning ingredients. When jeera turns into light brown, add it to the cooked rice+gram mix. Mix well. Serve hot with coconut chutney or any tamarind based gravy.


The consistency of pongal remains the same even on cooling unlike moong dal based pongal.

This goes to JFI-Sprouts guest hosted at Ammalu's Kitchen.

13 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, Jayasree! Yes, it is really a long time since you came back to blogging:). I was on a short vacation too and returned yesterday. Steaming hot pongal looks delicious - you are innovative with sprouts! I am sure this tasted great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good one..mung dal replaced with horse gram..lovely..i am going to but horswe gram next time..i have seen few recipes with it and all of them including this one seems delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  3. pongal looks so delicious and inviting!

    Wishing you and your family a very happy new year 2009.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I was thinking of you .... What an innovative sprout Pongal ! I was on break too last week got to post something...

    ReplyDelete
  5. If only we could blog all day, and not work ...umm ..and if wishes were horses and pugs could fly ...sigh!

    I like the fact that the consistency does not change with horsegram. I sometimes make kichidi with vegetables for lunch. But if even a little is left, I am the one to finish it, as hubby will not have it once the consistency changes!! This seems like a a good solution!

    Wish you a very Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice idea. I can imagine how wonderful it must have smelled.
    Happpy new year, Jaya....

    ReplyDelete
  7. new pongal.......am drooling...happy new year

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a healthy recipe! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thats so innovative to use kollu in pongal,sounds so healthy!
    Happy new year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome back, and hope you have a great 2009

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow wat a creativity!!!lovely..happy 2009 to u n ur family!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for a healthy recipe! I tried this today and it was amazing by itself.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your interest on my blog.Appreciate your feedback. Leave your suggestions/comments which will help me improve my blog.