July 9, 2009

Whole Moong Dosa and Instant Mango Pickle - Maanga Curry



I am used to having filling breakfast like idli/dosa/pongal. Oats porridge, cornflakes ,muffins or energy bars can't find place at breakfast table. I like to have variety in breakfast at the same time making it healthy too. These whole moong dosa do appear in our breakfast table once in a fortnight. The soaking time is less compared to our usual dosa. Also no fermentation required. Split moong dal can also be used in place of whole moong, though the taste will be different. I prefer whole moong for the fibre content. This is similar to Andhra pesarattu. I believe, in Pesarattu, only whole moong is used.

you will need
1 cup raw rice
1 cup whole moong
1 inch piece ginger
3 green chillies
few curry leaves
2 medium sized onions (optional)

Yields 12 dosas.

Wash and soak raw rice and whole moong for 4-5 hours. Grind them along with ginger, green chillies and curry leaves, to a not too smooth batter. You can grind this in the mixer grinder also and batter can be slightly coarse too.

Before making the dosas, mix in the finely chopped onions to the batter. I haven't added this time. Of course adding onions enhances the taste. Make slightly thick dosas and cook both sides. You can cook it either soft or crisp according to your taste.


I served with fresh instant mango pickle. During summer, when raw mangoes are freely available, this pickle was part of our meal on almost all days. Its very easy to make and there is not much of a recipe for that. the pickle needs only 15 minutes of standing time after it is made to start consuming. Didn't I tell you its instant. I usually don't add too much of chilly powder since my husband usually eats it like a veggie side. when served during feasts, usually it will have a red color because of the chilly powder. I wonder now a days, the caterers do add a pinch of red color to give that fiery touch to it.


For the pickle, you need
1 raw, slightly sour mango
salt to taste
2 tspn of chilli powder (adjust to taste)
a big pinch of hing
1 tspn mustard seeds
2 tblspn of gingely oil

chop the mangoes into bite sized pieces. Heat oil in a small pan/karandi. When hot add mustard seeds. When it splutters, add hing, chilli powder and salt. Remove from immediately to retain the red color of chilli. Mix into the chopped mango. Mix well. Leave it for 15 minutes for the flavors to blend in.
It goes very well with curd rice and practically with anything at my home.
I am sending the plate of moong dosa to showcase at Dil Se's Breakfast table , to MLLA 13 guest hosted at TongueTicklers , an event started by Susan and to Padma's Dosa Corner

The jar of instant pickle makes it to Mango Mela at Valli's












22 comments:

  1. Moongdaal dosa is too nutritious to experiment..and mango curry..my god,thats my all time fav..but the combo is one I havent thought of yet

    ReplyDelete
  2. mangai pickle looks so tempting..so do the dosas...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pickle looks inviting!!!
    Drop in sometime

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too J....somehow, I don't think of energy bars or muffins as breakfast....Like the pairing of dosa with manga kari.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is an odd but inviting combination, Jayasree! I have been diverting a few of my friends to your blog after they asked me typical Palakkad recipes, and they gave me a positive feedback about how they liked your recipes. Just thought I should let you know:). Thanks for the lovely entry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Moong dhal dosa looks yummy Jaishree and also healthy. Thanks for sending it to my event :)
    Your manga curry too is very tempting...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mango curry looks delicious. New combo to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Protein packed dosa with tangy mango side dish looks tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We make this too! Its really easy and yummy - and not to mention all the 'health' aspects!!! Yum Yum Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's the exact dosai my grandmother used to prepare, but I started substituting cracked wheat for the rice. You will not miss the rice at all. I have it in my blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hmm..yummy manga curry..my mom makes it:) moong dosa is also lookin gud..i tried once..but that was different..will try urs soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes I agree, Jayasree. There's nothing like our wholesome Indian breakfasts. :-)
    Nice dosa. I shall try the mango curry sometime; looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Manga curry looks lovely. Dosa with manga curry is a yummy combo. Love the crunchy bite of the mangoes in this pickle. Feel like picking up a piece right from the screen.

    ReplyDelete
  14. manga curry looks mouth watering. Loved the jar too...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Healthy dosa and a mouth watering mango curry. interesting combo.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That makes a lovely breakfast. Thanks for sending it to Show Me Your Breakfast event!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I totally agree with your sentiments about filling breakfasts. :)

    Can almost taste that maanga curry. I make these too. They're called pesarattu?

    ReplyDelete
  18. mmm healthy and protein rich dosa and mango pickle looks so tempting yummmy breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the raw mango pickle... dosa looks so good too...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Same here Jayshree, I can't have cornflakes or oats for my breakfast. I love both the dishes, with curd rice the mango pickle will be heavenly.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your interest on my blog.Appreciate your feedback. Leave your suggestions/comments which will help me improve my blog.