March 20, 2009

Banana dates muffin



I have baked banana bread twice with two different recipes. I did like them but never wanted to make them again. When I had some bananas, which either had to be used up or will find their way to bin stage, idea of bread did not seem to be interesting. So I decided to look for muffin recipe and finally found banana crumb recipe at Allrecipes. I tweaked it and I was amazed with the results. We both loved the muffins very much. And had some guests the next day I baked. They gave a big thumbs up tasting my muffins. Definitely I will be making this again. I forgot to add the crumb toppings. Seeing the reviews at Allrecipes, decided to add them during the last five minutes of baking. But with a phone call, half the way through the baking, I completely forgot about the topping. I am sure that will make it more delicious. That's reserved for the next bake.
Now to my version of the recipe
Ingredients
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tspn baking soda
1 tspn baking powder
1/2 tspn salt

1 cup mashed banana
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup chopped dates

Method
Sift the two flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt together. Whisk together sugar, oil, mashed banana and milk.Fold in the banana mix into the dry ingredients and mix just enough to moist. Stir in the chopped dates. Scoop the batter into the greased muffin pan
Bake in a preheated oven at 200 C for 25 minutes or till top is browned. Adjust the timing according to your oven.
Muffin was very soft and moist. It goes very well for breakfast with a glass of milk. It keeps well for for 3 days with out refrigeration. I got 9 medium sized one and 5 mini muffins.
I am sending these breakfast muffins to Lakshmi's SWC-Meals on Wheels
and to Recipes for rest of us:Picnic Eats hosted by Trupti, an event started by Ramki.



19 comments:

  1. YUMMY! I am planning to make Banana Muffins today too, have 2 ripe ones. Looks great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made a banana loaf cake which also has almost the same ingredients. Yours muffins look very nice - soft and crumbly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely muffins..yummy!!I love them..ever since I baked eggless banana muffins,I am in love with them.Your recipe with banana and dates sounds too good,shall try it out!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love banana flavour in my bakes..muffins look great..love the addition of dates..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also made banana muffins. yours looks very delicious. If you want you can send these to Picnic Eats event that I am hosting. Today is last day or you can send it 2morrow

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even without the topping it looks yumm, you have now antoher reason to make these dlicious muffins again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Muffins are great to go breakfast or snack too. They look very pretty on the inside look!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your muffins look perfect, Jayasree. Do try the crumb topping the next time you make them It adds a very nice crunchiness to the muffin.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, banana's and dates, too good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi,
    I love banana flavour in my bakes, I can never get bored of it. The banana muffins with dates make a great combo. Great snap! the bake looks perfect.
    Happy weekend :)
    TC

    ReplyDelete
  11. Banana with dates sounds great.Nice post..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice muffins..the good news is its eggless..Love the combo of banana and dates :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Best combo for muffins-Banana n dates..yummoo..:)
    Am I first time here?great dishes..:)
    Btw,are you a Malayali?

    ReplyDelete
  14. yummy muffins! love the idea to add dates! will try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. muffins look great Jaya! banana and dates must be a delicious combo.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Banana & dates are a winning combination - looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the sweet comment jayasree..:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your interest on my blog.Appreciate your feedback. Leave your suggestions/comments which will help me improve my blog.