March 17, 2009

Godhumai Pradhaman (broken wheat cooked in jaggery and coconut milk)


Pradhaman, where coconut milk is used is very famous in Kerala. Kerala,being the land of coconuts, have variety of pradhamans. I have blogged about pazha pradhaman earlier. Here is the recipe for another popular pradhaman with broken wheat as the base. I have used wheat rava in place of broken wheat.

Ingredients
Broken wheat - 1/3 cup
Jaggery =3/4 cup
Coconut milk - 200 ml (Ii used store bought)
Ghee - 1 tblpspn
Cardamom powder - 1tspn
water to melt jaggery and cook wheat

Method

Roast broken wheat /rava in a tablespoon of ghee till you can smell the aroma of roasted wheat.
Don't roast it to brown. Pressure cook the roasted with enough water. This is the first time I used store bought coconut milk. I reserved around 100 ml for thick milk. I diluted the remaining with water into two parts - thin and slightly thick versions.
Melt jaggery in a pan with 1/4 cup of water. Strain and add cooked wheat with a cup of thin coconut milk.Cook on low flame till the mixture thickens and by then the wheat would have soaked up the jaggery syrup well. Add second extract of coconut milk (slightly thick). Let it simmer for 5 minutes. Add the thick milk and remove from fire. Stir in cardamom powder.

Note: I drained some liquid to show the wheat rava.


This is off to JFI:Wheat hosted by Roma, an event started by Indira




28 comments:

  1. Jaggary gives it such a nice color and taste, looks yum. Enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wheat pradhamam is new to me,looks delish,nice entry for the event!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHeat pradhamam looks amazing Jaishree..healthy n delicious kheer:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brings back happy memory from when i was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. they served tis at my wedding a zillion years ago and i've been looking for the recipe ever since. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They just look so delicous! Never tasted this wheat pradhamam!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're not going to believe this, Jayasree. I am having a friend coming down this weekend and I was thinking of making this for dessert!
    Its such a tasty pradhaman.:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pradhamam looks delicious and its healthy too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pradhaman, i heard once abt in hostel, too good entry

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks all for you comments. For those who haven't tasted it, give it a try, I am sure you will like it.

    bee, good to have you here. Would love to see the recipe at your place.

    Aparna, is it? This such a tasty pradhaman ad fits into an elegant dessert. Will wait for your vesrion.

    ReplyDelete
  11. just returned from Lg's wheat upma..now anothet broken wheat recipe..looks so yumm.. will try it soon..bookmarked..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have made this too long time back..healthy dessert

    ReplyDelete
  13. yummm...reminds me of the wonderful Kerala Sadya. Want to go home already. Bookmarked the payasam looks gr8

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pradhaman looks awesome...its haelthy too, will definitely try :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have had this as a prasadam at some functions and its so very delicious!
    Thanks for participating in JFI-Wheat.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks Yum Jayashree. I have tried Dhaliya with sugar and milk, this combo is new and sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow, never heard of this. looks so good and yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is really a healthy dessert, will try this next time I think of making a dessert

    ReplyDelete
  19. One of the very few payasams that I really like. There's something about the combo of coconut milk and jaggery that makes this taste just right.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi,
    My first time here, u have lovely authentic Recipes.I used to make this kheer with jaggery and plain milk ...loved ur version of using coconut milk shall surely try it as I love coconut based recipes/gravies.
    TC

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is so yummy! love this all time! healthy one too! nice entry Jayasree!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have made this in milk with jaggery and haven't had it for ages! This is a tasty version, and I just love the flavor of jaggery!

    ReplyDelete
  23. delicious. cold godhi payasa with little bit of roasted cashews will do for me;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Suparna, Welcome to my blog. Thanks for your comment. Most of the payasam in Kerala, that uses jaggery is prepared with coconut milk. the combo of jaggery and coconut milk lends a unique taste to the dish.

    Harini, for a vegan, this combo of jaggery and coconut milk suits the best. And it definitely enhances the taste than the usual milk.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh yummy! Store bought coconut milk makes life so easy no? Have never tried in India - as there are heaps of coconuts and always help around for breaking and grating!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi! Your blog has contributed variety to my kitchen more than once. Thanks a bunch! Happened to make this same dish yesterday and today happened to see this in your blog. I used normal milk though (blame that on my laziness :D). Coconut milk will definitely give a richer taste

    ReplyDelete
  27. Never heard it with coconut milk. I know it'll be richer taste. Healthy and decious recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your interest on my blog.Appreciate your feedback. Leave your suggestions/comments which will help me improve my blog.