March 31, 2009

Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies for T & T






When Curry Leaf announced Tasty Palettes for Zlamushka's T &T, I knew what to make, since her vegan lemon poppy seed cookies is in my bookmarked recipes for a long time. As soon as I saw the event announcement, I immediately noted the recipe and baked it.

Here is the recipe

All purpose flour - 1 cup

Poppy seeds - 1 1/2 tblspn

Arrow root powder - 1 1/2 tblspn

Nutmeg powder - A big pinch

Salt - a big pinch

Butter - 5 tblspn

Sugar - 1/3 cup

Lemon 1 tblspn

Lemon Zest - 1 tspn

Vanilla essence - 1 tspn

Water - 3 tblspn


I have used white poppy seeds and arrow root powder in place of cornflour. Suganya had made it vegan by using margarine and I used butter.


Method

Mix flour, poppy seeds, arrow root powder, nutmeg and salt.Cream together, butter, sugar, lemon juice, zest and vanilla essence. Mix the dry ingredients into the wet mixture. Add water little by little to form the dough. Don't add 3 tblspn of water at one go.Pinch off a tablespoon of dough and shape in to a ball and slightly flatten it.


Bake in a preheated oven at 180 C for 25 minutes or till the sides starts browning. The original
recipe said 18-20 minutes, mine took extra 5 minutes. The timings may vary according to your
oven settings. Suganya's has got a nice brown color. Mine remained mostly yellow except the sides which were slightly brown. Don't know if it has anything to do with the use of butter in place of margarine. It was definitely tasty.


The cookies were melt in the mouth kind with a tangy flavor. It gives a nice feeling to bite into the poppy seeds. Thanks Suganya, for a keeper recipe.


17 comments:

  1. Both the cookies and bread look yum, J....did you use the mw to make these?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one! She has a great collection, doesn't she? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cookies look soo yummy..Nice entry for T &T :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these cookies, look yumm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great choice, they look perfect and tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seems u r in baking mood Jaya,COokies looks scrumptous..

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi Jayshree,
    The cookies look crunchy and melt in mouth types. well done :)
    TC

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the lovely entry Jayasree.I was also planning to make the cookies,but somehow could not fit in within the time limits.They look perfect and I love the tangy flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  9. they look wonderful...am going to try them soon..

    ReplyDelete
  10. cookies looks so crisp and yum yum

    ReplyDelete
  11. hmm,looks delicious..nice entries!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The cookies look lovely..nice one

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the cookies. Saw Suganya`s too. Nice entry for the event. I have too many bookmarked recipes...will have to try them all.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Jay,
    lovely cookies, I made them myself - they were super delish :-)
    thanks for participating T&T in March. I hope I ll see you around this month as well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is one of my favourite recipes from Tassajara. Happy to share with you all.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your interest on my blog.Appreciate your feedback. Leave your suggestions/comments which will help me improve my blog.