July 27, 2011

Gulpoli ~ Sesame Seeds and Jaggery stuffed flatbread

Gulpoli as the name suggests is the poli/flatbread with jaggery filling. Gulpoli is generally made for the Makarashankaranthi festival. On googling I found many recipes for gulpoli. The outer dough was same is all the recipes. There was difference in the ingredient list in the filling. Some recipe adds coconut and the ratio of sesame seeds and poppy seeds differ. I bookmarked the recipe from Arti's corner. While going through the recipe, I felt the quantity of jaggery seemed more and then I reasoned myself that since no coconut/dal is used in the filling, quantity of jaggery must be making it up. I doubled the recipe and went ahead. Instead of going for 3 cups of jaggery I used little more than 2 cups. Rolling the flatbread with the stuffing was very easy. No sticking/tearing. I could roll without using much flour for dusting. The trouble started when I started roasting it on the tawa. After few seconds, when the poli warmed up, the jaggery started oozing out and there was a pool of jaggery syrup on my tawa. I knew my doubt regarding the jaggery quantity proved correct. I guess, Arti must have halved the orginal recipe and forgot to scale down the jaggery measurement. Removed the tawa and brought out another one. I worked on the filling. I divided the filling into two. To one part, I added some roasted besan and powdered sesame and poppy seeds. Then after 2 attempts of trial and error, got the filling right.  I searched again to check on other recipe and found a very helpful video. I will make again with the remaining filling.  If only the filling proportion was right, I could have finished rolling and roasting   the polis in flat 20 minutes. I am sure next time, it will be easy for me.



You need
For the dough
  • Whole wheat flour/Atta - 1 cup
  • All purpose flour/Maida - 1 cup
  • Oil - 4 tblspn
  • Luke warm water - Less than 1 cup
  • Salt - a pinch 
  • Ghee for roasting.


For the filling
  • Jaggery, grated - 1 cup
  • Besan   - 1/4 cup, heaped
  • Sesame seeds - 4 tblspn
  • Poppy seeds - 1 tblspn
  • Cardamom powder - 2 tspn
  • Nutmeg powder - 2 tspn
  • Cashewnuts - 10 nos

Method
Take the  both the flours and mix well. Heat oil in a tadka/seasoning pan. Pour the hot oil on to the flour. Mix well so that the oil coats the entire flour.  Add water in parts to make a soft dough. Cover the dough with wet cloth or bowl and rest it for 2 hours.

Roast sesame seeds and poppy seeds separately.   Roast besan in a tablespoon of ghee. Grind sesame seeds, Poppy seeds and cashew in the mixer grinder. Add the ground mixture, roasted besan, cardamom powder and nutmeg powder to the jaggery mix. Mix well. Make sure there are no tiny pieces of jaggery. 

Divide the dough and filling into 10 portions each. Take a ball of dough. Roll it into a small circle. Place the filling on the roti and cover with the edges. Seal and roll into a roti of medium thickness. The dough is very elastic and the filling non-sticky. So rolling is very easy and not a messy affair at all. 



Heat a tawa. Smear some ghee and roast the polis on both side, till brown spots appear. The poli will be crisp and tastes awesome when hot. It is equally good even when it comes to room temperature. 



Check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked for the day.


 

21 comments:

  1. I love sweet stuffed breads. this one is very healthy and perfect for snacking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks delcious ~ never had this before, now I am curious :)
    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sesame version is new to me. Should be damn yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy sweet rotis...I had this once from my friends house..Very delicious and healthy..

    ReplyDelete
  5. My friend used ti pack those for snacks to office and we would finish that like in 15 minutes! These looks so yummy.
    www.sunshineandsmile.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you saved the day and the end result looks pretty & delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made the same on last sunday stuffing with besan,raisins and almonds.This looks yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Delicious and fulfilling rotis. Lovely combination.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  9. This stuffing sounds new and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stuffing sounds interesting and innovative

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love poli with all kind of stuffings. The sesame seeds version looks delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super yummy poli..Jaggery and sesame seeds, good combo!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an adventure Jayasree, most times I end up knowing that we should use our judgement more than what's written in a recipe..but the filling sounds very interesting..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Super looking poli...my mom's fav...
    Great recipe and click
    Happy Blogging
    Rujuta
    http://theworldaccordingtorujuta.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your interest on my blog.Appreciate your feedback. Leave your suggestions/comments which will help me improve my blog.