July 29, 2011

Kokum Juice

Today is the last day of the BM#7 edition. As part of the Maharashtrian cuisine for the series, I thought of finishing the series with the kokum juice. I have heard of kokum juice before but never had a chance to taste. I tasted it after we moved to Pune. The taste of kokum is hard to define. It doesn't go well with everyone.  I liked to it. My husband is a juice person and can have juice any time. For him, juices are not just  thirst quenchers for summer.  During summer, I bought a packet of kokum and tried making the juice at home. I have seen many recipes for this and found it very easy to make. From then on, its made more often at home. Do check out this post at Aayis Recipes to see the pictures of kokum tree and fresh fruits. 


Now on to the recipe
You need
  • Dried kokum rinds - 10 nos
  • Sugar - 3 tblspn
  • Water - 3 cups
  • Salt - a pinch
  • Cumin powder -1/4 tsp ( optional). I don't add.




Method
Soak the kokum rinds in lukewarm water for half an hour. Crush the kokum lightly and filter to remove the kokum rinds. The water would have turned to a lovely pink. Stir in sugar and salt. Stir till the sugar is dissolved well. Chill and serve. 



Here is the picture of Maharashtrian Thali, which we had in a hotel during our Kolhapur trip.



Do check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked.

11 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting. I have never used kokum before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never had Kokum.I am not sure if we will get in the US too.Sounds interesting and looks nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too never used kokum in cooking but have heard rave reviews about this drink! Thanks for sharing :)
    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have seen Kokum inMumbai.I dont know whether it is there in Chennai.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kokum juice sounds interesting. Will try.
    Maharashtrian thali looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love kokum juice..
    Thanks for sharing the recipe..
    The clicks are great
    Nice running the marathon with you..
    Happy Blogging
    Rujuta
    http://theworldaccordingtorujuta.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heard about this and nice to see the picture of kokum. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am going to make this kokum juice. I have a pack of kokum lying unused in my pantry, bookmarking.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have heard about it but never had them. Sounds like a nice sour drink.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi jayashree, I envy you for 2 things, I love pune and my sis!, every time I see your post, I want to come there!, I bought two cans of Kukum juice, when I came back from there last time, My BIL's were amazed at it, and told every time I visit pune, I need to get them that juice, My sis told me that it is such a cooling thing, and is consumed a lot during summer, she told me something recipes using this, Next time when I visit I have planned to get the dry ones as you have shown in the picture, and I can use it then, Kolaphur is a fabulous place, I visited the place too.., I will remember this recipe, when I get hold of kokum :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your interest on my blog.Appreciate your feedback. Leave your suggestions/comments which will help me improve my blog.