April 11, 2008

Coconut Burfi

Coconut/Thengai Burfi is one of the signature dish of Amma. She makes it often at home. Many variations can be done to this burfi. But amma always follows the traditional method. I sometimes add few tablespoons of roasted besan flour or some milk. This is the traditional recipe with a slight change in flavor. Usually, cardamom powder is added. My MIL adds cloves instead.Since it is always cardamom for sweets, I find adding cloves gives a very different flavor, which is nice for a change.

Fresh Grated coconut - 1 cup

Sugar - 1 1/2 cups

Ghee - 4 tblspn

Cloves - 6 nos

Water - 1 cup

Preparation

When you grate the coconut, grate only the white part. Don't grate the bottom brown part. This is to ensure the white color for burfi. Pulse the grated coconut for few seconds in mixie to get a fine texture. This is optional
Heat a kadai with water and sugar.

When sugar is fully melted, add a teaspoon of milk. Impurities, if any will float. Remove and boil the syrup to one string consistency. To test for consitency, if you drop a teaspoon of syrup , it should fall like a thread.

Stir in the grated coconut. Add a teaspoon of ghee. Keep stirring.

It will start thickening and it will froth from all sides.

Add crushed cloves.

When it starts crystallizing on the edges, transfer to a greased plate.

Flatten it evenly using a greased cup (katori/dawarah) which has a flat base.

When cool, mark and cut into pieces.


I am sending this to Think Spice -Think Cloves event hosted by Gretchen for April, originally started by Sunita

20 comments:

  1. I love coconut burfi.
    When i was a teenager i used to eat them a lot when my mom made.
    Looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Coconut burfi they are perfect and yum :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My all time favorite:))looks so yumm

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love coconut and these look so delicious! Nice idea to use cloves in them instead of cardamom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love tis and have never made this. will try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. its my favourite.... looks delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  7. my fav. sweet. looks perfect and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like coconut burfi. I've always used cardamom. Got to try it with cloves. That must give it a really unique flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hmmm... adding cloves is an interesting twist! thanx for the idea

    ReplyDelete
  10. yeah adding cloves is different.. Nice shot Jayashree..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Onnodu barfi looks nice and white, Jaya....this is one sweet i can never say no to....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tenga burfi is my all time fav. Adding cloves is a new idea.Will try it soon because your picture is very tempting :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks yummy....nice thing about the cloves ...will try it with cloves next time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sound itself tempting me to brag one :-).....

    ReplyDelete
  15. thank you all for your comments. Happy to note all love burfi. Do try with cloves the next time you make them. You will not be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  16. i love coconut barfi..ur barfis look so good.. i too posted coconut barfi and coco choco barfi on my blog. but they look as good as urs..

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is my favorite sweet dear..nice seeing this recipe..will try it sometime

    ReplyDelete
  18. divya, thanks.One more added to the list of burfi lovers. Do try sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This sounds delicious! I am just learning to love coconut but I bet this would be a wonderful way to enjoy it! Thank you for participating in Think Spice!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Grethcen, Please do try and I am sure you will love coconut more for this burfi.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your interest on my blog.Appreciate your feedback. Leave your suggestions/comments which will help me improve my blog.