April 9, 2008

Koozhu Kaachina Dosai

This is a very traditional recipe which is almost forgotten in the present days. I remember my dad's mom making these. Thatha love this. In those days of stone grinding, this was an easy evening tiffin. Since raw rice is the main ingredient which doesn't need much of soaking time. Without much prior planning, this dosa can be made. Grinding raw rice is easier too. Whenever we talk about those days, invariably, topic of food also comes in. We used to recollect the traditional recipes prepared then. And I used to ask my amma to make this dosa. I love the tangy taste imparted by the tamarind extract.

Here is the recipe
For the batter
Raw rice - 2 cups
salt

For koozhu

Tamarind - marble sized
Ground batter - 1 tblspn

Preparation
Wash and soak raw rice for 3 hrs.
Grind to a fine paste using little water. If you add more water, it will be difficult to grind to a smooth paste.

Preparing the koozhu

Take a tablespoon of the ground paste and mix with the tamarind extract. Add water to make it to 1 cup. It is fine If it is little more also.
Boil the mix on stove top with constant stirring. It has a tendency to form lumps and stick to the bottom.
As it starts boiling, It will begin to thicken. Stop when it reaches a semi solid stage.
This is called koozhu (it will resemble the baby food - koozhu).
The color of the koozhu depends on the tamarind color. I used the fresh tamarind of the season. So it has not turned dark.


Prepare the batter
When cool, mix the koozhu to the ground batter.
Batter consistency should be thinner than the usual dosa batter.
When you pour the batter on to tawa, pour in a circular pattern and later spread lightly with the laddle.
Add oil on sides.
When cooked flip over and cook the other side too.

It is slightly sticky because of the tamarind added. You will be able to flip over without much difficulty.

I feel the koozhu is added to soften the dosa since only raw rice is used.

Needless to say, this is going to the dosa mela hosted by Srivalli.

16 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this before, but it looks great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. new to me:))think healthy one....love those pictures

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the tamarind part, may be i will try seasoning it some more spices and see how it goes!! thanks for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Something new to me.Looks good

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dosa batter looks perfect and smooth.. dosas too look great

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never heard about it , sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by my blog and trying the recipe.

    Like many other bloggers who have commented here, I also have not heard about this until now. It sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. HC, thanks.

    kalai, its almost a forgotten tradition recipe.

    thanks dhivya.

    dee, do try ur variations and let me know how it turned out.

    kamala, thanks.

    divya, you are right.

    anjali, as u said, not only the batter, dosa is also smooth.

    cham, thanks. This is not a very common recipe, but traditional one

    madhuram, thanks. Do try it.

    jayashree, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Different dosa,never heard something like this before..Looks pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. luks nice new recipe for me...

    ReplyDelete
  11. divya, SMN thanks. Try this simple dosa. You will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. this look so different... iam a kerala iyer and i dont even know wt this is.... shame on me.... hehe will surely it ...it looks so tempting.... the recipe itself...:P

    hey do check my blog too.... its a small one... just trying my hand at cooking...:P

    ReplyDelete
  13. Shubha, welcome to my blog. Thanks for dropping by and leaving your comments. This is an almost forgotten recipe. No wonder you hv not heard of it. Now that u know, do try and tell me how u liked it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your interest on my blog.Appreciate your feedback. Leave your suggestions/comments which will help me improve my blog.