April 4, 2008

Molagushyam & Parikkai thayir pachadi

Molagushyam is a simple and easy to make gravy to serve with rice. With pepper as the main spice and protien rich moong dal, makes it more healthy. My paati (Mom's mother) prepares this delicious molagushyam without adding dal. It is also referred as Kari molgaushyam, perhaps due to the color of the kootan due to the addition of pepper. (Kari indicates black color). It tastes wonderful with salted whole lemon. Whole lemon is pierced with a skewer and pickled in salt. Nothing else. After pickling for more than 6 months, the lemons will be gooey and melted salt mixed with lime juice will be dripping like honey. How I miss that. I don't bother to pickle lemons this way, since I am the only person who likes that. When I ever I visit my paati, I never miss to taste the salted lime. For my molagushyam, I prepared bitter gourd thayir pachadi as side.


Molagushyam
Vegetables are cut into cubes.
elephant foot yam (chenai) - 1 cup
raw banana - 1 cup
ash gourd (elavan/vellai poozhinikkai) - 1/2 cup (optional)
moong dal - 1/2 cup
turmeric - 1/2 tspn
pepper powder - 1 tspn (Adjust to your taste)
salt
Coconut oil
curry leaves

Wash the vegetables and transfer to a bowl to cook in pressure cooker.
Add 2 cups of water. Adjust the water according to how much you would like the vegetables to be cooked. It taste good if the veggies turn mushy also.
Add turmeric,salt, pepper powder.
Pressure cook for 3 whistles and cook for another 5 minutes on low flame.
Open the cooker after 15 minutes.
Lightly mash the cooked gravy by the ladle. Add water to adjust the consistency. If you are adding water, then boil on stove stop .
Garnish with a teaspoon of coconut oil and few curry leaves.



Parikkai thayir pachadi (Bittergourd Raitha)
Bitter gourd - 1 nos
Coconut - 2 tblspn
Green chilly - 2mustard powder - 1/2 tspn
Curd - 1 cup
salt
Seasoning
oil
mustard seeds

Method
Select BG which are less bitter. We get fluorescent green colored ones which are less bitter.
Slice the bitter gourd in to rings. Remove the seeds.
Shallow fry them till it turns brown.
What I do is MW for 3 minutes wihtout covering.
Take a pan, add a tablespoon of oil. Add some sugar and the half cooked BG. This way it gets fried easily.

Grind together coocnut, green chilly and mustard powder to a smooth paste adding little water.
Add the grinded paste to curd and whip. Do the seasoning using mustard seeds.
Just before serving, add the fried BGs to the pachadi, to have them crisp.


The pachadi is going to Pooja's VOW-Bittergourd event.

14 comments:

  1. Hi jayasree
    thanks for dropping by my blog. I love your entry of this recipe for bitter-gourd and all the best !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too make molagushyam like your paatti does - without any dal. Such a simple yet flavourful dish, isn't it???

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! I loved the first dish there... and I didnt know that we could make a raita out of BG!! thanx..

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! evrybody is trying bitter gourd recipes.. i think i too should try it now :) i love this recipe..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow , that a novel dish with bitter gourd. very creative way to use it indeed.
    thank you Jaya for participating with such a lovely dish :) .

    ReplyDelete
  6. I heard about BG raita, but looks very tasty ur's. The gravy is totally new 4 me but sounds great...

    ReplyDelete
  7. new to me..but looks so tasty and yumm,,,love the bittergourd too

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks delicious..This curry is new to me

    ReplyDelete
  9. anamika, thanks

    jayashree- nice to know that u too make this molagushyam. I think we share many thing common..

    ramya, thanks for dropping by and leaving your lovely comment.

    anjali, thanks. looking forward to ur recipe

    pooja,kamala thanks

    cham, dhivya,divya, sowmya - thanks. Do try it, you will like it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like molagushyam very much and was actually going to call up mummy for the recipe!! Thank you for it but still....I will make the call...for no reason hee hee!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the bitter gourd when deep fried. Good one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. SSMom, thanks. Gald to know my recipe was in time for you. We always tend to find some silly reason to call up Mom isn't it.

    Nithu, thanks for dropping by my blog. deep fried BGs taste is not any more that bitter.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your interest on my blog.Appreciate your feedback. Leave your suggestions/comments which will help me improve my blog.