April 23, 2008

Ghee Rice for MBP

When Pavani of Cook's Hideout, who is the guest host for MBP April edition, announced One Pot Wonders, I knew where to look for ideas. With Meeta's MM- One dish dinners roundup at hand, didn't have to do much of patrolling. It was then I found Seena's post on Ghee Rice-Thalassery style. It was almost the same method I follow , except that it uses whole spices. I liked it for its instant kind.
Here is the recipe for quick ghee rice
Basmati rice - 2 cups
Ghee - 3 tblspn
Onion - 1
Fennel seeds -1/4 tspn
Cardamom - 2 nos
Cloves -2
Cinnamon - 1" piece
Water - 3 cups
Cashew and raisins for garnish

Soak rice for half an hour. Strain and keep it aside.
Boil 3 cups of water with required salt.
Heat ghee in a kadai. Roast cashew and raisins. Drain them and keep it aside for garnish.
Add spices, chopped onion to the same kadai.
Saute till onions are translucent.
Add rice and roast till it slightly changes it color.
Add the hot salt water, cook till water is absorbed completely.
Cover and cook with occassional stirring.
Leave it covered for half an hour after it is fully done.
Serve with any spicy curry or simple onion raitha.

5 comments:

  1. thats lovely!...gosh why didnt' I think about meeta's roundup..I didn't take up this cos I didn't have time to do a patrol!.....:(...

    rice looks lovely jayasree..same as I do..except i dont' add fennel seeds..

    ReplyDelete
  2. For quick glance i went to the round up! Lovely selection and entry

    ReplyDelete
  3. srivalli, you have still time to join the patrol.

    cham,dhivya,divya thanks for your comments.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your interest on my blog.Appreciate your feedback. Leave your suggestions/comments which will help me improve my blog.